The Dentist Who Doesn't Lust

>> Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Last week on a bus to the amazing metropolitan city of Chennai, I met a dentist. I know he was a dentist because he asked me why I hadn't sought out orthodontic treatment (I have unusually sharp and slightly out-of-place canines), and then gave me professional advice on how to correct my unseemliness ("Of course though, if it doesn't bother you aesthetically then I suppose it's alright"). I could hear him speak in italics. Added to this his constant greasy grinning and what he told me next, I don't think I liked him very much.

He said he didn't lust any more. We were discussing various Art of Living programmes (I haven't been to any but I would like to) and he told me how, through controlled breathing and willpower, he did not experience the negative emotion of lust any more.
What is negative about the emotion of lust? I don't always act on it, but the occassional surge of wanting (or frisson, as a writer of 'romantica' might put it) feels pretty nice.
If I could host erections, I'd want to be able to revel in them.

11 comments:

Aditya Bidikar September 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

Love the last line.

Anonymous September 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

Agreed. That last line is great.

Anonymous September 17, 2010 at 8:05 AM  

Dammit, I wanted to say that!

Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

So when are you gonna meet your " Daanton ka Raja"?

MOET51

Kris Bass September 30, 2010 at 5:26 AM  

I'm less proud of my medical background now.

Thanatos October 14, 2010 at 4:04 AM  

Lust bad. Denial good.

Anonymous October 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

What else can you expect from a dentist who you meet in a bus in Chennai? Poor guy.

Willim Willson November 26, 2010 at 6:08 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arvind, He of CSE February 5, 2011 at 6:39 AM  

Hmm..

I find when comes to pleasures one might revel in, you get so much more out of the secret, guilty kind than from anything unashamedly honest and open.

Mayhaps, I enjoy the utterly private, secret pleasure they give me. Like a little secret just between me and the girl two rows ahead with a low cut top.

Unknown February 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM  

Hahaha...Just came to your blog as a friend of mine said I might enjoy ur style of writing...I did...

Well what a bore life wud be if there weren't erections and contractions and a whole lot of tions in btwn...

damselsansdistress February 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

Seriously? I have been to AOL classes and it hasn't affected any of my emotions.

Followers

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP